Drug Possession Crimes Lawyers in Los Angeles & Century City, California
At the Law Offices of Benjamin N. Sternberg, A.P.C., our Los Angeles drug possession crimes attorney help alleviate the stress of the unknown in this trying time. Our attorney utilizes the skills in his previous experience in both the Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office and the Office of the Los Angeles County District Attorney to provide you with the constitutional protections you are entitled to.
Our Century City drug possession lawyer knows how the prosecutor’s office will react to our clients’ arrests when filing charges, and proactively seeks the best resolution available based on the type of drug and the quantity alleged. Many variables come into play during drug possession arrests, including whether or not the police had probable cause to search our client, their vehicle, home, and/or personal belongings. And while our investigation of their arrest will be more thorough, because of our experience on the government side, our stellar ability to achieve the maximum results for our clients is what sets us apart from other attorneys.
Illegal Drug Possession in Los Angeles, California
Drug possession charges in Los Angeles can be very serious, and lead to more than just a night in jail but can include life-altering consequences that can permanently appear on your record going forward.
The charges filed against the prosecutor’s office will depend first on the type of illegal drug or drug paraphernaliafound in your possession, and can include :
- Cocaine powder or rock, also known as crack
- Unauthorized possession prescription drugs such as Xanax, Vicodin or Oxycontin
Additionally, the quantity of the drug or drugs found can transform from possession charges to possession with intent to sell, and suddenly felony charges are mounting against you. What’s more is that if you have a past criminal record, the charges can become increasingly advanced and lead to much harsher penalties.
Is Marijuana Possession Legal in the State of California?
Since 2016, recreational use of marijuana became legal in the State of California, but the possession statutes are still enforceable if the amount on hand is greater than what the law’s protections allow.
- Adults aged 21 or over to possess up to 28.5 grams of dried marijuana leaf; or eight concentrated grams of cannabis for personal use
- The growth of up to six plants for personal use
When is marijuana possession illegal?
- It is illegal for anyone to possess marijuana over the amounts previously listed
- It is illegal for anyone under the age of 21 to possess any amount of marijuana for recreational use.
When these violations occur, the individual charged may be subjected to Federal criminal penalties, as marijuana remains illegal under schedule one of the United States Controlled Substances Act.
Our Law Offices of Benjamin N. Sternberg focus on the following Practice Area:
- Contracts Law
- Business Law
- Criminal Law
- Domestic Violence
- Felony Law
- Restraining Orders
- Real Estate
- Family Law
What Are the Legal Ramifications of Drug Possession in Los Angeles, California?
At the Law Offices of Benjamin N. Sternberg, A.P.C., our drug possession lawyer in Los Angeles works tirelessly to ensure our clients receive the best outcome available for their case. Each drug possession case is different and depending on the type of drug, the quantity in question, and the individual’s previous criminal record, the penalties will vary greatly.
Prosecutors will seek the most damaging outcome available through a conviction, including :
- Community service
- Drug education classes and/or counseling
- Heavy fines
- Loss of driver’s license
- Registration as a drug offender with local law enforcement
Socially and professionally, the legal harm can be far-reaching, and include:
- Complications in obtaining financial aid
- Difficulties in obtaining child custody
- Immigration interference
- Job loss or difficulty obtaining future employment
- Trouble obtaining leases, rental property, or financial loans
The fallout you may face from drug possession charges can resurface later in life causing irreparable damage to your personal and professional future. Do not take your chances speaking with the prosecutor’s office or appearing in court alone. Allow our experienced drug possession attorney to guide you through the process to achieve maximum results.
How Can the Law Offices of Benjamin N. Sternberg, A.P.C? Help Me Fight a Drug Possession Charge in Los Angeles, California?
Our drug possession attorney in Los Angeles represents each client with a personalized approach to providing solutions for their case.
The results our firm achieves on your behalf will be based on a number of criteria, including:
- The type of drug in your possession
- The quantity or weight of the drug(s) in your possession
- Whether you are being charged with simple possession or possession with intent to sell
- Whether the charge against you is a misdemeanor or felony
- Your previous arrests, charges, and convictions record — where applicable
As your Los Angeles drug possession attorney, Benjamin Sternberg can investigate to see whether you have a strong defense based on :
- A dispute that there was probable cause to search the person, place, or items where the drugs were found
- Any challenge to the validity of the arrest
- Entrapment or improper police conduct
- The search and seizure process that revealed the drugs, and its legality
- Whether the possesses a valid prescription for the controlled substance, or submit that it cannot be proven that there is not a prescription — where applicable
- Confirmation that the substance recovered upon arrest was not a controlled substance
- Issues with the lab’s analysis of the drugs in question to the court
- Your lack of knowledge of the presence of the drugs, or that the drugs in question were never under your control or in your possession.
Our previous experience working within the legal government entities that enforce laws throughout the city and county of Los Angeles allows our attorney to reveal substantial holes in the prosecutor’s approach to pursuing charges against our clients. And while every case is different, our knowledge and vast legal experience allow our drug possession attorney to dissect the case and assist you in your goal to achieve positive results.
Contact Our Drug Possession Attorney at the Law Offices of Benjamin N. Sternberg, A.P.C. Today
If you have been arrested and charged with drug possession in California, you are going to need an experienced attorney to guide you through the legal process while strategically defending your rights, so you are not convicted of a crime that will negatively affect the rest of your life. Contact our drug possession defense attorney in Los Angeles today at the Law Offices of Benjamin N. Sternberg, A.P.C. by calling 310-557-9898 to schedule an initial consultation. Time is of the essence when seeking counsel, and our lawyer will help defend your rights and fight for the best possible outcome for your drug possession charge. Call now to find out how we can help.